Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Why Runners Run?



Why do you Run?
Because you're wondering if your grandchildren will too.
Because it's raining.
Because You Can, and others can't.
Because it's faster than walking.
Because that shaky-leg-thing is all about nervous energy.
Because you can't fly.
Because you can fly.

Because your personal best is just that, yours.
Because the pain of a blister is nothing compared to the pain of stopping.
Because you like the resistance the wind gives you.
Because you like the resistance you give the wind.

Just Because.
NYC Marathon Ad

I ran and ran every day,
and I acquired a sense of Determination,
this sense of spirit that I would never, never, give up,
no matter what else happened.
Wilma Rudolph

I run because it's my Passion, and not just a sport.
Every time I walk out the door, I know why I'm going where I'm going
and I'm already focused on that special place
where I find my Peace and Solitude.
Running, to me, is more than just a physical exercise
...it's a consistent Reward for victory!
Sasha Azevedo

We run, not because we think it's doing us good,
but because we enjoy it and cannot help ourselves...
The more restricted our society and work become,
the more necessary it'll be to find some outlet
for this craving for Freedom.
No one can say, 'You must not run faster than this,
or jump higher than that.'
The human spirit is indomitable.
Sir Roger Bannister, first runner to run a sub-4 minute mile

I always loved running...
it was something you could do by yourself,
and under your own power.
You could go in any direction,
fast or slow as you wanted,
fighting the wind if you felt like it,
seeking out new sights just on the Strength of your feet
and the Courage of your lungs.
Jesse Owens
I see myself as an artist.
Running is the way I Express my Talent.
I wish I could paint or write music,
but running is what I do
and I feel great Joy from it.
Joan Nesbit

For in running it is man against himself,
the cruelest of opponents.
The other runners are not the real enemies.
His adversary lies within him,
in his ability, with brain and heart
to master himself and his emotions.
Glenn Cunningham

No comments: